At the dawn of a new year, many people set goals to motivate themselves to change. But as January 1 drifts further into the rearview mirror, it can be easy to settle into old habits and forget about the resolutions and goals established at the turn of the calendar. We hope the tips below support you in working towards your personal goals and dreams in 2022!
· Examine your priorities. Achieving goals is easier when their goals can be among your biggest priorities. Examine your priorities to determine if you can fully commit to goals that may require significant time commitments. If you are already stretched thin, you may need to recalibrate your goals or make changes in other areas of your life before you can fully commit to pursuing new goals.
· Be specific in regard to planning. Being specific when choosing goals is important, but it’s equally important to be as specific as possible in regard to developing a plan to realize those goals. Before embarking on a journey to realize your goals, figure out how you’re going to achieve them. Create a new daily or weekly schedule that allots time to realize your goals, seeking input from loved ones whose lives may be affected by your new schedule.
· Make note of potential obstacles. Recognizing potential hurdles in advance of their appearance can help you overcome these obstacles and stay the course toward achieving your goals. For example, individuals hoping to lose weight can look ahead to occasions that might compromise their efforts, such as a loved one’s wedding or backyard barbecue. Recognizing these obstacles in advance gives people a chance to develop a plan to overcome them. In the weight loss example, individuals can choose vegetarian options from reception menus or resolve to avoid alcohol, which tends to be high in calories.
· Start small, but start immediately. Lifestyle changes can be difficult, so make small changes initially and gradually work toward larger, more significant changes. Starting small can lay a successful foundation, but it’s also important to start immediately. Procrastination can reduce the likelihood of achieving your goals, and the earlier you get started the more quickly you and your loved ones will adjust to the changes necessary to realize your goals.
· Practice self-care and self-love. It’s ok not to meet all of your goals all at once and change is never linear. Allow yourself the time and space you need to grow and make the changes you’d like to see in your life. Remember that you will experience highs and lows on your journey and that each day will be a bit different from the one before. Identify practices that help you to feel your best, and allow yourself to recharge and regroup when needed.
The dawn of a new year is a great time to set new goals. Bringing those goals to fruition requires careful planning, self-reflection, self-love, and commitment.